Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Megacoin has nothing to do with MEGA/Kim Dotcom

Welcome.

I want to start my first post off with some news about Megacoin (MEC).

I just found out through my own due diligence (really it wasn't that hard to find out I just emailed MEGA) that it’s not affiliated with MEGA (Kim Dotcom) in any way despite what a lot of people who are buying into it are assuming.

It seems pretty apparent that the creators of MEC purposefully branded their identity to make people think it was created by K.Com.  From the fact that the website uses a .co.nz address like Mega and the MEC website has a kind of (not very well executed) bold Mega design aesthetic.

So, being suspicious, I contacted the media relations email media@mega.co.nz and got a response from the CMO, Finn Batato.

> Hello,
> Is Megacoin related to your company, Mega in any way?

> http://www.megacoin.co.nz

> Cheers

____________________________________________


> Thanks for asking, no, this is not associated with us. 
> Best
> Finn

I think it's important that people know about this--I don't see any reason that MEC should have a $50 million market cap when there are better currencies that have just as much going for them with much less money put into them. (More on that in another post.)

Perhaps if it was backed by Kimdotcom and his vast resources I could see this coin being a contender but because that isn't the case I would not recommend owning any MEC.

1 comment: